Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Love of Learning






We are learn best when we are engaged and having fun. My kids go through phases of topics they are completely taken with. I love to just go with it and help them become experts in their areas of interest. I know lots of names of heavy construction equipment from my middle sons' obsession as a toddler. My boys ages 7 and 9 have become fascinated by the airplanes and ships of the World War II era. Spending time with their Great Grandpa Robert King, they have learned of his adventures in the South Pacific as he served as a young navy sailor on an oil tanker. I love taking topics my children are captivated by and facilitate their further study. So... we've headed to local aerospace museums, built models, saved money to purchase small die cast models, watched documentaries, interviewed Great Grandpa, and checked out books at the library. We even found a WW I and II themed restaurant in San Diego called the 94th Aero Squadron. It turns out that it's not just young boys who love old planes. After telling Grandpa Paul about our adventure, he made reservations for his extended family to celebrate a family occasion there.

Our fabulous local library allowed the boys to set up a display of WWII in a glass case at the entrance. The boys were thrilled! We love our local librarians. They help us find and order books and movies and share the boys' excitement. It is crazy to see how our 7 year old can name WW II planes. I can recognized the Corsair but have a LOT to learn!

No comments: